Monday, October 25, 2010

Confused

I'm confused. You'd think at this point in my life I would have figured this out, but I haven't. What is the right way to respond to people that are doing something wrong? Yep, it's as simple as that. Do not judge, tell the truth in love, hate the sin not the sinner, take the log out of your own eye first. How do these all apply to one situation and how do you practically live it out? Does it matter what the particular situation is? The fact that I even think they are doing wrong is judging. On the other hand, I tend to just not say or do anything. If it really is wrong, is that really loving the person? If they don't think its wrong, saying something to them will probably just hurt them. If they already know its wrong, why do they need to be told? Maybe this only works if they don't know its wrong, but realize it when you tell them (how often does that actually happen?) How do you love someone and not "support" what they are doing? What about if it's someone you don't know very well? I think reactions tend to be extreme; either people are completely condemning and disassociate with that person or they completely ignore the issue in the name of tolerance. I think I need to be somewhere in the middle, but I'm not exactly sure what that looks like. I also tend to think that ignoring it with strangers or people you barely know is ok, but what if what they are doing is affecting a large number of people and why does that make it different? Btw, this is not about a particular situation just a number of situations over the last few years that I've felt at a loss as to how to respond or if I even should respond. What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lacey,
    If you're able, listen to this radio podcast from today, October 27 called No More Christian Nice Girl, Part 5 at this website:
    http://www.moodyradio.org/middayconnection.aspx
    I found it to be a really powerful message and really spoke to this issue of speaking the truth in love. Love ya!
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, a comment! Thanks Jess! I'm listening to it right now.

    ReplyDelete