Saturday, April 17, 2010

I'm Positive

Getting examined for your work visa in China is an interesting process. One thing we found interesting and a little a scary, was that they didn't list positive or negative on our blood types. When we asked Chinese friends about this, they had no idea what we were talking about. It's been about 4 years since we got back from China and I finally decided to investigate a little further. Thanks to Wikipedia, I found this information: Over 99% of Asians are Rh positive.  So I figure, because almost everyone is, they just don't test for it.  The scary thing is (as one of my mathematician friends pointed out), this could leave up to about 30 million people that are negative, not to mention expats living there. We are planning to go back to China this summer, so right now I'm pretty glad that I'm positive.
Another interesting thing about blood types in China is that most Chinese people believe that your blood type is related to your personality.  Fortunately for me, O is considered to be a nice and generous personality.  Actually, fortunately for the world, because O is the most common blood type in almost all races.

No comments:

Post a Comment